Thursday, October 05, 2006

NVU for Free, Cross-Platform Web Design


Kenan asks:
Being in a laptop classroom where I am requiring websites has presented a problem we may not have foreseen. Not everyone has the same website creation software. My temporary solution has been to have them form study groups according to the type of software they are using. If anyone has any other suggestions let me know. I wonder if this is an issue that needs to be addressed as faculty.
My suggestion, as a first possible solution, is that we direct students to NVU, which is a free, well-respected, Mozilla-based web design program. And it's cross-platform, so your Macs and your PCs will be able to run it equally well. It's not as easy to do fancy rollovers and whatnot as it is to do them in Frontpage, but it's a-ok out of the box for basic web design.

There's a link here at the bottom of my "productivity" page at the help site, and you can go directly to it here.

The image at the top shows what you need to enter to set up NVU to work with a BSU site. (Click the image to make it bigger.)

No comments: